2018-19 Food Service Worker
Mt. Scott is seeking a part-time food service worker for our school’s one-person kitchen. This position is responsible for prepping and serving breakfast and lunch to our students, maintaining kitchen and cafeteria sanitation, managing kitchen supplies, and adhering to the food service and reporting requirements of the School Breakfast and National School Lunch programs. Applicants enthusiastic about MSLC’s mission to provide underserved students with the education and opportunities they deserve are encouraged to apply.
- START DATE: Late August, 2018
- SCHEDULE: Part-time during regular school days only (172 days per year), Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. or 8 a.m. -2 p.m. with an unpaid half-hour lunch break. Additional hours may be negotiated during school breaks and holidays as needed.
- SALARY RANGE: $14-17 an hour, depending on experience
- Receives partially-prepared meals from our vendor
- Prepares and serves breakfast and lunch
- Ensures at point of service that students are offered the required meal components and portion sizes to comply with Oregon Department of Education (ODE) and federal requirements for the School Breakfast and National School Lunch programs. (Training will be offered).
- Accurately completes daily production records for both breakfast and lunch, which includes recording amounts of each item offered, the number of students and adults served, and amounts of any leftovers.
- Cleans kitchen and cafeteria areas
- Washes dishes and utensils and operates automatic kitchen equipment while maintaining sanitary requirements
- Knows and follows all safety and sanitary rules and regulations related to food handling
- Maintains daily paperwork including food temperature logs
- Monitors stock of food and supplies
- Works cooperatively with Nutrition Services Manager to order appropriate quantities of meals and minimize food waste
- Arrives on time throughout the school year
- Works well with youth, and participates in maintaining a safe and positive learning environment for students
- Instructs students with regard to proper disposal of compostable and recyclable refuse.
- Takes initiative, researches and problem-solves cafeteria repairs and maintenance needs as they arise.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Knowledge of food safety standards and guidelines
- Ability to work independently and interact positively with staff and high school students
- Ability to lift 25 lbs
- Experience in school food service
- Knowledge of National School Lunch Program requirements
- Experience working with students of color and youth in poverty
- Possess a valid Oregon Food Handler’s Card.
- Must pass Oregon Department of Education fingerprint-based background check.
- High-School Diploma or equivalent
Please send cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not contact the school directly.